Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation. If you need to drop documents off, please make arrangements with the attorney on your file.

A Full-Service Law Firm
Located in Quincy, Massachusetts, Levin and Levin, LLP was established in 1933 as a full-service law firm committed to providing clients throughout the South Shore with the highest level of legal representation available.

What if you cannot pay for a divorce?

by | Jul 13, 2018 | Uncategorized

In some divorces, even high-asset divorces, there are clients who have virtually no income to pay for a lawyer. In fact, many delay filing because they think a divorce is not possible due to their financial situation or that their spouse would end up with everything because of being able to afford a lawyer.

If you have no income and want a divorce (or your spouse wants a divorce), how to pay must weigh heavily on your mind. Here is a look at a few common options, and they should not affect your chances of getting child custody or child support.

Your spouse pays

You can ask the court to have your spouse pay your lawyer fees or even work it out with your spouse for him or her to pay. If there is a giant disparity in income and paying for a lawyer would not present a significant hardship on your spouse, then the request is likely to be approved.

You and your lawyer work out a payment plan

Many lawyers offer free consultations. From there, the two of you could work out payment plans. For instance, if it is likely that you will end up with a chunk of assets and perhaps even spousal support, then a lawyer may be more willing to take on your case. Your financial situation has nowhere to go but up, after all.

If the lawyers you want to work with do not offer free consultations, you can contact their offices and offer this sort of payment plan. They may still be willing to meet with you even if you cannot pay for a few more months.

You have money but did not know it

It could be that you do have sufficient financial resources to pay for a lawyer. This may be especially true if your name is on joint bank accounts, with the funds yours to do with too as you want.

Sock away money

Another option is to make a bit of income for yourself, if possible. Some partners are secretive or totally controlling, giving their spouses no direct cash or no joint account access whatsoever. However, if your spouse does make money available to you, you could store a little away a bit at a time. The same idea applies to money you get other ways, from your parents, for example.

FindLaw Network